Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Oh, The People You’ll Meet—Robin


Robin – Cynthia – Eve

It’s interesting how the blogging world brings you closer to people in a way you’d never expect.

Today, Eve and I had coffee with Cynthia Jaynes Omololu, a fellow blogger and my cousin-by-agent. Cynthia, I learned, is also my soul mate in the world of film, as she also believes that the best two movies ever made are Spinal Tap and Harold and Maude.

I love this girl.

As the three of us sat talking about our agents, the books we’ve written (and the ones we hope to finish someday) and about all the other books we love (and even the ones we don’t love), a nice man sitting next to us leaned over and said, “Excuse me. Are all three of you writers?”

“Why, yes! Yes, we are!” We said in unison as we sat up a little straighter.

“Wow,” he said. “That’s neat. That’s really neat.” He then went on to say that the most interesting part of our conversation was how we were talking about other books that we love and how a book can be interpreted in so many different ways, unlike a television show.

We were like, “Yeah, man. That’s so true. That’s deep.” And we nodded our heads and wondered why he was listening in on our conversation and wondered why we were okay with that.

But we were okay with that. Because there’s nothing like getting random people sitting next to you in coffee shops to start talking about the value of books.

So, Cynthia, first of all…you rock. And second of all, I’m sorry I didn’t link to your blog because I can’t figure it out. Which means I don’t rock, I’m lame.

And third of all, sorry for changing my hair color on you and making it more difficult for you to spot me. Even Eve has a hard time finding me now that I’m not a blonde. But hey…I’m a girl…I change my mind a lot!

I think for our next blog-fest-in-person meeting I’ll go as a red head!

-Robin

9 comments:

Natalie said...

Hey, this photo looks familiar! Here's the link to Cyn's blog: http://www.cynjay.blogspot.com/

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Aww, I'm so jealous! I wanted to be the one eavesdropping on your conversation.

Disco Mermaids said...

Hi, Linda--you can easily eavesdrop on us. We're VERY LOUD!!

And thanks for including the link, Natalie. Yes, that picture looks eerily familiar...

-Robin

Anonymous said...

So awesome that you got to meet CynJay! The question is: how much more awesome could it be? And the answer is: none, none more awesome!!!!!!! Even though I'm not a writer, I am also jealous that I couldn't be there. Lamy

CJ Omololu said...

Um, yeah, I think the whole coffee place was eavesdropping on us whether they wanted to or not. Good thing we're an amazingly interesting group of gals.

You didn't mention our new BFF, the Anton Lavay guy. I had no idea that JK Rowling was in fact Satan's sister. It is nice when the locals contribute to literary discussions.

You guys are the best. I'm going to have to arrange semi-annual trips down there for a book-talk fill-up. And I'm going to learn how to wear heels.

rilla jaggia said...

Hmm...lucky bunch...sounds like you had a lot of fun.
Since you're on the topic of Satan's sister and meetings in coffee shops...maybe you can clear something up for me. I recently had an invasion of my blogspot. I was told that I must either work in or frequent coffee shops, Starbucks in particular. This was intended as an insult. I'm not clear on why I should feel insulted. Anyone have an idea, you coffee-drinkers you? I feel hopelessly ignorant...as always.
Wait a minute...didn't JK Rowling write Harry Potter in a coffee shop? Is that why she's Satan's sister? Completely Confused.

Anonymous said...

On a non-literary note...love your hair!

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Fun, fun. Love the hair! Jay's missing out. Of course, we don't feel sorry for him.

Disco Mermaids said...

I invited Robin and Eve to come to New York with me. But, nooooooo...they wanted to stay and have coffee with Cynthia.

(Which is understandable.)

Sounds like y'all had a ton of fun!

- Jay