Thursday, October 26, 2006

What's New? -- Jay


I admit, I used to hate running into people I haven’t seen in awhile and hearing What's new? or Long time, no see! or What's going on in your neck of the woods? because it was usually followed up with How's that writing thing of yours going?

Writing thing? With that, I knew how seriously they took my particular pursuit of happiness. But now? Now, I love telling them what’s going on. And though it’s only been a week since my last post, my neck of the woods has been extremely exciting.

1. My book deal was reported in the Deals section of the latest Publisher’s Weekly. I was absolutely blown away, honored, and blown away again to find my name listed in a column I've drooled over every single week for years.

2. I joined a writer’s co-op called Class of 2k7. It’s a group of debut middle grade and YA authors with books coming out in 2007 pulling together to promote ourselves as one big mass o’ talent not to be ignored. Check out the website and I think you’ll agree, next year the bookshelves will be hoppin’! The image at the top of this post is my contribution to the 2k7 film project. They’re putting together what is basically a commercial that’ll be sent to book buyers across the country to encourage them to check out the website and buy our books. Each author contributed one image to represent his or her book, to be displayed briefly in the film. That’s my hand holding the audiotape while Eve took the photo. I think Eve took around 50 pictures to get the one shot she wanted. Relax your thumb! Don't tense your pinky, it's making the side of your hand wrinkle up. The dangling tape looks posed...mess it up a bit.

3. I’ve been asked to speak at my first writer’s conference next summer. Actually, that’s not totally accurate. Last summer, the Disco Mermaids spoke as special guests in Lisa Yee’s workshop at the SCBWI National Conference. But this time, I’ll be leading the workshops (though I'd be thrilled to have Lisa as my special guest!). It's two 90-minute workshops on children’s literature at a conference for writers working in all types of literature. Not to sound repetitive, Not to sound repetitive, but I was blown away, honored, and blown away again by this invitation.

So that's how this writing thing of mine is going...

- Jay

7 comments:

Lisa Yee said...

What's the conference?

Disco Mermaids said...

The Central Coast Writers' Conference. It happens to be in its 23rd year, which happens to be my favorite number.

Coincidence? Sure, but still...

Maybe we could have a contest and whoever wins gets to be a guest speaker in your workshop at the SCBWI conference. Cuz that, right there, was my good luck!

- Jay

Disco Mermaids said...

I'm farklempt! (sp?) Seriously...I've been with you EVERY step of the way the last several years while you pursue this "writing thing" and I still get choked up reading about the insane things that are happening!

Nice pic...it kind of looks like the hand is rising up from the dead...which would have been a cool idea, had it been a girl hand. Damn! Why didn't we THINK of that!!! I'm anal. I need help. I'll never be fully satisfied with my "art".

Good job, dude.
xoxo
Eve

Don Tate II said...

Great going. Great going. Great...

Alison Ashley Formento said...

I was actually a hand model for commercials and print ads long, long ago. Tennis, kids and typing have taken that talent from me. If this writing thing doesn't pan out, Hollywood needs hands like yours! :)

Anonymous said...

HI! I just heard from GottaBook and THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Echoing all the way from South America (Valparaiso, Chile, at the moment!!),
Rita!

Paige Keiser said...

You know, I used to feel uncomfortable too when people asked what I did and I was unpublished. I dreamed of that day I could say 'I'm a children's book illustrator," instead of, "I'm trying to become a children's book illustrator." Unfortunately, even after a few books under my belt, I still get those same blank stares, or that dry, "Oh," answer as they picture me fannying around in front of the Soaps doodling once in a while. So, fact is, I'm still uncomfortable telling people what I do. Ah well. lol :)