Monday, September 25, 2006

Falling In Love With My Second Book -Eve

I’m a sucker for a good sappy romance. You know, the true, pure, “love conquers all” story that makes you cry no matter how many times you read the book or see the movie. I’ve been bawling my eyeballs out for 20 years watching The Blue Lagoon (They ate the “never wake up berries”…waaah…). I read Love Story, by Erich Segal, on a plane when I was sixteen and wailed so loud that they considered emergency landing the plane because I was freaking out the other passengers. And The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks…don’t get me started! At the end, I whimpered and heaved so violently that I created inhuman sounds only my dogs could hear…and it scared the crap out of them. And Brokeback Mountain…oh God…the bloody shirt…Remember that, Jay and Robin? I thought y’all were going to have to carry me out of the theater on a stretcher after that one! Waaah…I need a tissue.

Oh… and Out Of Africa. And The English Patient! I could go on and on. But I won’t. The funny thing is that I’ve never read a great true love story for teens. I don’t mean a “like” story or a “crush” story. I mean a real live, mind-blowing, earth-shattering, can’t eat- can’t breathe- can’t sleep, true love story. Truth be told, there’s nothing like a first love. Nothing. And when you fall in love for the first time as a teen, it’s even more magnificent because emotions are so potent when you’ve got psycho hormones pulsing through your vessels.

I had an epiphany last week. I’m going to write the Great American Teen Romance. Yep. When I started it four days ago, something magical happened. The computer keys clacked away. All kinds of insane ideas spilled out. I obsessed over my two main characters and their plight when I slept, when I ate, and when I ran. It’s a joy to write because there’s nothing more intoxicating than true love. It’s a complete departure from my first novel about tough kids from the ‘hood struggling to survive. But, it won’t be easy for these two lovers. Oh, no. There’s a twist. Don’t you worry. There’s a twist that will keep you guessing.

After spending 3 1/2 years immersed in my first teen novel, I kind of worried that I wouldn’t have the same passion for another one. I lived, ate, and breathed that book for 1277 days. But surprisingly, just days after finishing that first baby (and sending it off to an editor who requested it after reading a few chapters… Yay, me!), this idea took on a life of it’s own, and I’ve already gotten the entire story down in my head.

I’m so completely fixated on this concept that I believe I’ll crank out the first draft in no time. So, I’ve either developed a form of obsessive-compulsive-psychotic-mania, or I’m actually getting the hang of this writing thing. Either way, I’m officially writing my second book. Which is pretty huge for me, considering I hardly have the attention span to finish READING a whole book.

Unless, of course, it’s Love Story…or The Notebook… they…really…loved…each…other…waaahhhh!!

--Eve

7 comments:

alvinaling said...

Great idea! We need more great love stories.

If you haven't read it yet, TWILIGHT is a pretty intense love story for teens. With a twist. :)

Disco Mermaids said...

Ah, yes. Thanks Alvina! I'm all over it. I've only heard fantastic things about Twilight. It's on my list of books to read...but I think I'll bump it up to the top.

Any other teen love story suggestions?

Eve

Anonymous said...

Does the twist have anything to do with one of the lovers starting a fire to "rescue" the other one? I'm just asking. Lamy

Anonymous said...

I could totally relate. My first mg novel is also being read by an editor and I'm going crazy waiting to hear from them. In the meantime, I started my second novel and for some reason it is just pouring out of me. Plot from start to finish, characters, theme...it's all coming together.

Good for you for choosing to write about love.

Disco Mermaids said...

I had the honor of reading the first three pages of Eve's "new" book. And you're right, Eve. This one is obviously pouring out of you and it's so natural and, well...you! I can't wait to read every stinkin' word. And cry my eyes out! Waaaahhhh!
Love you romance writer girl!
-Robin

Disco Mermaids said...

Funny, Amy. I totally forgot to give props to "Endless Love"...seriously, the biggest bawl-fest of my life watching that one! But, no. No fires in this one.

Congrats, Anne! It's funny, Jay and I always say, "I don't know if I have another one in me." Mainly because we work so frickin' hard on them. Apparently I have amnesia (like the kind you get after giving birth) because I've forgotten how hard it is, and I'm diving head-first into this new thing. My fingers are crossed for you on the mg novel!

Robin, you know I love you. No matter how bad my first draft is, you'll always be my #1 fan! Awe...waaaahhh! Need another tissue.

Eve

Disco Mermaids said...

Oh, so Robin's your #1 fan! What am I...chopped liver?!?!

Seriously, the two of you are both working on something special. Keep going! Cuz I can't wait to start critiquing it!!!

- Jay