Sunday, April 30, 2006

The End --Eve

Exactly 364 days, nineteen hours, and forty-five minutes after starting my first novel…I’M DONE!

Sort of. The ending needs a little work. Details, details. Jay and Robin will fix that. But, I’ve written all the chapters. Worked out all the kinks, holes and messes. Got the character and plot arch working. And I wrote the words, "THE END". Tonight I’m celebrating with last week’s Tivo’ed episode of “America’s Next Top Model” and tonight’s new episode of “Desperate Housewives.” Seriously.

What? Did you think I’d bust out the champagne and caviar? Not my style. Trashy reality T.V. and chocolate covered pretzels are more like it.

So, despite my napping habit, distractibility and procrastination problems, I’ve written a whole book. I’m so proud. I mean, I’ve hardly even READ a whole book.

I felt much better about myself when I heard Jeanne Birdsall speak last week at the L.A. Writer’s Day. She is this year’s National Book Award winner for her first novel, “The Penderwicks.” I learned that Jeanne spends a lot of her time during the day visiting neighbors, playing with her dog, napping, all the while thinking about her characters and story.

That’s me! I thought. I used to think I had a laziness disease that prevented me from finishing my book. But now I know it’s all part of my creative process. All those naps and walks and visits helped me think about my story and work things out in my head. At least it makes me feel better to think that.

I guess I did something right these last three years because now I’m done and my book doesn’t completely suck. I actually think it’s kind of good. I’m proclaiming May 1st a new holiday…Eve Is A Real Writer Day.

So I’m slow…big deal. I’m just glad to know I’m not alone in my writing methods…Thanks, Jeanne. Newbery, Printz, and National Book Award here I come!

There, Jay and Robin. I actually praised myself…you happy?

--Eve

4 comments:

Disco Mermaids said...

You praised yourself...finally! Time you patted yourself on the back. I'm tired of doing it! Kidding...I'll give you an even bigger pat when I read your book and get excited that you took my idea for the ending. (You took my idea, not Jay's, right!?) Just trying to get to the top of that acknowledgements page. Can ya blame a girl?
Robin

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a huge milestone. And I'll tell you, catching up on stuff from Tivo sounds like a great way to celebrate to me. Well, as long as there's chocolate involved. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Hey Auntie Eve. Glad to hear you finished your book.
Later

Paula said...

Eve that's great! Trashy Reality TV and Chocolate? You're my type of chick.

Oops sorry, "trashy" reality TV is redundant.